Thursday, April 30, 2009

PAA 2009 in Detroit
















I arrived in Detroit this morning from Ann Arbor, where I attended APLIC's 42nd Annual Conference at the University of Michigan. It was a fantastic conference featuring Myron Gutmann of ICPSR as our keynote speaker.

I was in the Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center no more than 10 minutes and I see Jodie Lee, which was a pleasant surprise. I knew she would be very visible because she has helped Kathie Harris to organize the whole conference, I just didn’t think I would see her right away!

I attended the session about The Future of Survey Research. Barbara Entwisle was one of the speakers. Barbara and the other presenters talked about how survey research has changed over the years and about some of the opportunities and challenges for the future. Some of the content expanded on what I heard at the APLIC conference including the strengths of linking data sets in population research and concerns about respondent confidentiality (especially with spatial data).

I forgot my personal digital camera in my hotel room across the skyway so I played sidekick to Nancy Dole as we tried to learn CPC’s fantastic new digital camera, the Canon PowerShot SD1100 (available for CPCers to use, contact the CPC library to reserve it). Thankfully, current and former CPCers are so willing to have their photos taken! And if they’re not, sometimes I just say Swasey said so.

Nancy and I stopped by the Measure Evaluation booth in the exhibit hall. The new “seamless” booth looks fantastic and Leah Gordon said that it’s easy to assemble, as long as it’s shipped to the hotel directly.

Photo is of the Marriott Hotel taken from my hotel. Note the People Mover at the station near the left and the Detroit River in the distance beyond/above the People Mover. I haven’t determined whether General Motors owns the Renaissance Center or whether the Renaissance Center is featuring the GM brand but for some reason “General Motors” appears on the front of the hotel.

Lori Delaney

No comments:

Post a Comment